The breeding stock should be selected when they reach 4 to 5 weeks old. The breeder should be selected from the largest litter. In males, it’s extremely essential to see the presence of two testicles in the scrotum as testicles descend down from the body cavity at 12 weeks old.
- Extensive type of reproduction:-
Weaning here practiced is 5 to 6 weeks and re-breeding shortly after weaning. This is the best suited to tropical countries like India.
- Semi intensive reproduction
Weaning is practised at 4-5 weeks old. Breeding is practised after 10-20 days after kindling.
- Intensive reproduction
Weaning is at 4 weeks old. Mating is done immediately after kindling.
Always females should be placed to the pen of male to avoid fighting. Mating should be performed during coolest part of the day like early morning or late night. After successful breeding the male usually generates a normal cry noise and falls down on one side of the female. Soon after the breeding the male one needs to be removed from the cage. The male should not be greater than 3 to 4 days in a week and not more than 2 to 3 times a day. The proportion of male to female is 1:10. Both genders should reach 70 percent of the adult body weight.
The breeding season is almost throughout year.
Signals of heat in females
- Lying in mating posture
- They are spontaneous ovulators. Ovulation begins 10 hours after mating.
- In warmth, the female bunny accepts man, otherwise it rejects.
- In warmth, the female assumes a typical pose known as”lordosis” in which the back is arched downward and hind quarter is increased.
- The female one in di-estrous phage crouch in the corner of the cage.
- After kindling (parturition), the re breeding occurs after one week in intensive management. But normally re-mating is revealed one week before weaning.
- When temperature rises above 36 degree centigrade, temporary sterility occurs.